5.8.13

CPY 30/40 Day 1: Keeping myself honest as "the eternal beginner"

I'm really good at starting things. I'm not so good at finishing them.

Garance Dore recently wrote a post about yoga and her "eternal beginning" and it resonated with me. The same day, my yoga studio announced their 30/40 challenge: 30 classes of yoga over 40 days. I decided to start it.



I normally wouldn't blog about such a mundane topic, but I a) don't believe you can achieve goals without yelling from the rooftop what your goal is and b) need a way to keep myself honest about actually doing this (and finishing it).

So last night was class #1.

During the warm-up, the instructor talked about what bullshit it is to always say "I can't, I'm busy." Hhhhhhhhhhhh I SAY THIS ALL THE TIME. It is my #1 go-to excuse, even if the task I am busy doing is slobbing about on the couch watching The Only Way is Essex. I say it so smugly too, like "I have so many tasks. I am extremely important and thus better than you are." I will definitely reevaluate how I use the phrase going forward, using it only as a truth and not a crutch.

Then she put us through a routine of 5 trillion ways of getting into (and then holding) HALF MOON. I hate half moon. It may not look like much, but it hurts my hips, the balance is impossible for me, it makes my thighs look fat, and besides Warrior 3, is truly my most hated yoga pose.


This is half moon.

If I had known it would have been a class of half moon bullshittery, I would have said I was busy and couldn't make it.

BUT: Last night I slept like the dead. And felt very smug and proud of myself for only skipping three days before getting started with the 30/40 challenge (sigh).

Today my hips are sore.

Tonight is "Yoga Sculpt" (yoga with weights, aka last week I actually started laughing because I thought the instructor was kidding when she asked us to do something. She wasn't.)

Onward.


No comments: